A variety of experts, coming from research institutions and industry, illustrated the four strategies investigated in POWERSTEP to turn wastewater treatment plants into net energy producers.
ADVANCED COURSE ON ENERGY POSITIVE WASTEWATER TREATMENT!
On 6-7 July 2017, the POWERSTEP project, in collaboration with the TU Wien (Vienna University of Technology), organised a Summer School in Vienna, Austria.
The POWERSTEP Summer School aimed at distributing expertise from innovative and cutting-edge research in the field of energy-positive wastewater treatment.
Within the POWERSTEP project, a consortium of 15 partners is working together to create a real paradigm shift in the wastewater sector. Speaking at the POWERSTEP Summer School, these experts, coming from research institutions and industry, illustrated the four distinct but interconnected strategies investigated in POWERSTEP to turn wastewater treatment plants into net energy producers.
These demonstrated strategies include:
#01 Carbon extraction for energy recovery into biogas
#02 Nitrogen removal in the main stream
#03 Biogas valorisation and efficient energy management
#04 Nitrogen management in side stream
The school attracted over 70 students from around Europe to follow lectures and to learn about cutting-edge research in the field of wastewater treatment.
As part of the summer school, the students also enjoyed a guided city tour in Vienna as well as a third man tour into the Viennese sewer system.
Presentations from the summer school are available below:
- 'Energy consumption and production in wastewater treatment plants' - Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jörg Krampe, TU Wien
- 'The WWTP of the future – a partner of the energy industry?' - Christian Schaum, Sascha Rödel and Marcel Hagen, University of the Federal Armed Forces Munich
- 'Introduction to the EU POWERSTEP project' - Boris Lesjean, Veolia Germany
- 'Control of C extraction from primary municipal wastewaters with microscreens' - Carles Pellicer-Nàcher, Veolia Water Technologies AB – Hydrotech
- 'Nitrogen removal with a compact duckweed reactor' - Rabea-Luisa Schubert, David Kahlert, Kompetenzzentrum Wasser Berlin
- 'Mainstream nitrogen removal through a two-stage MBBR' - Dora Stefansdottir, Veolia Water Technologies - AnoxKaldnes
- 'Side stream treatment of Sludge Dewatering Effluent (SDE) through Nitritation and Recycling into main stream' - Vanessa Parravicini Thomas Baumgartner, Karl Svardal, TU Wien
- 'Recovery of nitrogen from wastewater by membrane stripping at WWTPs and production of a marketable nitrogen fertilizer product' - Hansruedi Siegrist and Marc Boehler, Eawag
- 'Assessment of full plant concepts using the life cycle perspective' - Christian Remy, Kompetenzzentrum Wasser Berlin
More photos from the summer school can be found here.